Hints and tips for when you do not have the right ingredients or when you are
planning that party and want to know how much you will need.
- Half a liter of milk makes 12 cups of tea, or 8 cups of coffee.
- 750 ml of wine fills 9 wine glasses.
- 250ml rice feeds three people.
- 500 grams of meat or cheese cuts into approximately 16 slices
- 250gr tea and 500 gr sugar is sufficient for 50 people
- 15ml tomato puree equals 45ml blended tomatoes
- 15ml tomato concentrate = 90mls blended tomatoes
- 15 ml cocoa and 5ml butter= 10g chocolate
- 50ml cocoa+10 ml oil =25g chocolate
- Sour cream use 1/2 fresh cream+ 1/2 natural yogurt or add 15ml lemon juice to
- Soft Brown sugar= 15ml of molasses +225g white sugar
- Buttermilk- warm milk and add a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice per cup
- Parsley- use carrot tops if you are out of this
- Baking powder can be made out of 1 teaspoon of bicarinate of soda and 2
teaspoons of cream of tartar. At the coast use 1/2 a teaspoon extra in your
- To replace an egg in baking a cake use a tablespoon of vinegar. Use for
only one egg or the flavour is too strong. Alternatively use 10ml of lemon
juice and 25ml of milk